Sunday, February 04, 2007

Mr. Boffo

Mr. Boffo is one of my favorite comic strips. It's a must read every day. There are strips I've stopped reading, some that I've never started, but Mr. Boffo has a bizzare sensibility that keeps me chuckling every morning long after I've read the daily strip.

Or at least it did. This past week or so, there's been a definite change in the strip. It's almost as if someone else is trying to imitate Joe Martin, but since he isn't Joe Martin, and can't get into his brain, there have been day after day of flops, not even "almosts" but flops. Somebody is trying for the joke, but isn't reaching it. The situation is set up, but the punchline is defective. Something is just wrong here.

I can't even compare it with things like Segar Thimble Theater vs post-Segar Popeye, or Barks ducks vs non-Barks ducks. There is a twisted psyche that's become untwisted. It's like Garfield being the emasculated version of Get Fuzzy. (Yes, I know Garfield came first, but Get Fuzzy is still the funnier and more intelligent of the two.)

Has anyone else noticed it? It's been bugging me for days.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.