Monday, July 02, 2007

Diversity in the Courtroom

The Detroit Free Press takes some pretty stupid stands on the issues thise days. Here is one of those stands.
"And Justice For All," a campaign launched with the support of the Michigan ACLU and the state Department of Civil Rights, will target specific improvements in the way Michigan ensures fairness and justice.
Now there are two organizations that have caused enough damage on their own, working together to bring more "enlightenment" to Michigan.
Among the ideas: Creating state standards for the defense of indigents, adding racial diversity to the Judicial Tenure Commission, and encouraging all counties to have courthouse and courtroom access plans that meet federal disability laws, something that seems so basic it should not even be an issue. What building has more reason to be accessible than a courthouse?

The NAACP also seeks to expand jury pools to include ex-felons and people on public assistance and work with churches to encourage jury participation. A package of bills just introduced by Rep. LaMar Lemmons Jr., D-Detroit, would help by expanding the lists used for selecting jury pools.
Do we really want ex-felons on a jury? I'm not sure I do. This may make me sound bad, but I'm not sure I want people on public assisstance on a jury either. I would hope that anyone sitting on a jury would have enough education to be able to hold a job, and enough of a moral compsss to stay out of jail. I realize I'm not as progressive or enlightened as some, but, to me, this looks like another example of dumbing deviancy down.

My suggestion; improve our children's education. Stop blaming every different outcome between racial or ethnic groups on racism. Stop pandering.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Pen of Jen said...

Do we really want ex-felons on a jury? I'm not sure I do. This may make me sound bad, but I'm not sure I want people on public assistance on a jury either. I would hope that anyone sitting on a jury would have enough education to be able to hold a job, and enough of a moral compass to stay out of jail. I realize I'm not as progressive or enlightened as some, but, to me, this looks like another example of dumbing deviancy down.

HECK NO! I am sick and tired of this pandering to races. Actually it is maintaining discrimination by making those poor think that they deserve more for nothing. Poor used to be something one worked out of, not something that one gets paid to stay in.

No way on the planet should felons sit on a jury. I can see it being a hung jury every time just to knock it to the *man*.

Great post!
Jennifer

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Pen of Jen said...

Oops I guess I should have explained more. Poor defended by the ACLU are almost always black. And the poor black is poor because of the suppression of the white man. I am done with this. Get over it move on,

But you know that it will not end because for those championing the cause of the ACLU and NAACP, are raking in the dough$$$$$$$$

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Harry said...

And to think that back in the olden days before I broke through the lockstep thinking, I would have agreed with the ACLU and NAACP. Now I'm happy to avoid the unearned guilt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.