Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Memorial Day Post


Patriotism 01 Innominatus

BREATHES there the man with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
'This is my own, my native land!'
Whose heart hath ne'er within him burn'd
As home his footsteps he hath turn'd
From wandering on a foreign strand?
If such there breathe, go, mark him well;
For him no Minstrel raptures swell;
High though his titles, proud his name,
Boundless his wealth as wish can claim;
Despite those titles, power, and pelf,
The wretch, concentred all in self,
Living, shall forfeit fair renown,
And, doubly dying, shall go down
To the vile dust from whence he sprung,
Unwept, unhonour'd, and unsung.

Sir Walter Scott


I was going to give this one to my class on Thursday to memorize over their four day Memorial weekend. I got a phone call Wednesday night that our school, along with two others in the district would be closed Thursday and Friday. Friday was to be a teacher in-service day. A student at the district school housing the 8th and 9th graders had swine flu. He (or she? I don't even know) has a sibling at our school. Can't be too careful . . . I guess.

My only worry was that our class lizard would starve over the five day weekend. Fortunately the building was open, so I rode over on Thursday and Friday to feed the critter. There was disinfectant on all of the desks. All of the affected buildings were disinfected. The lizard was fine. I don't think he contracted the flu. I'll know for sure on Tuesday.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Gracious, is swine flu THAT bad? I know some people have died from it, but don't they die from regular flu, too?

I hope everyone is ok there, Harry.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Harry said...

Mrs. C,
I think we are still in panic mode. Everything is fine here, and from what I've read, fewer people are dying from Swine Flu than from other flu strains.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger KPOni said...

Spike will create the "Lizard Flu" and then we'll have something else to worry about.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Harry said...

Lizard Flu? Now we have cause for panic!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger MightyMom said...

oh good grief!!!

here's my take on the whole mess
http://texassiren.blogspot.com/2009/04/swine-flu.html


and remember...it's the biggest crisis since....the last big crisis!!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger MightyMom said...

oops hit publish too soon.

I wanted to remind everyone that this is as big a farce as avian flu.....west nile virus......just to name two.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Harry said...

MM,
I see you're pulling rank on us. Are you saying that just because you are a trained medical professional that you know more than a news reader or a politician when it comes to infectious diseases?

I didn't see any mention of Lizard Flu in your post though. I assume that was an oversight. Or were you just trying to avoid panic?

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

We have had a few deaths here but that is to be expected because we have socialized medicine, so people die from just about anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.