Sunday, July 05, 2009

Things I had to Respond to

There were a few articles in today's Free Press that commanded my attention. Usually it's the ridiculous that draws me in and makes the bile rise, but there were some good things too.

First the dumb stuff:

Why is Congress still out to apologize for slavery?
Lawmakers are learning the hard way that trying to apologize for historic injustices isn't as easy as saying sorry.
Advertisement

Two weeks ago, the Senate passed a resolution calling on the country to apologize formally for more than three centuries of enslavement and segregation of African Americans. Senators thought they had done the right thing.

The feel-good moment was short-lived, however, after several members of the Congressional Black Caucus vowed to fight the measure when it reached the House of Representatives.

They object because it contains a disclaimer saying that the resolution can't be used to support legal claims against the United States by those seeking reparations or cash compensation for the suffering endured by black people.
No apology will ever be enough for some. They will always demand more. We know that. The smartest course in this case is to give them nothing. Encourage them to shut up already. At one time slavery was universal in human society. It was western civilization that fought to end it. The United States fought a war against slavery.
"It opens up a discussion, an opportunity for Americans to start a healing process,"
No it doesn't, it wastes time and energy. It creates demands for something that nobody living today is entitled to. I teach elementary school. Most of my students are black. Until they get to my class and I fill them in on the facts of the history of world-wide slavery, they think that slavery was a uniquely American institution. If our nation hasn't been healed yet, it's due to dopes who insist on continuing the focus on American slavery and its alleged continuing effect on Black Americans. If you read Thomas Sowell though, you can better understand that the current pathologies in the Black community have little to do with the legacy of slavery and everything to do with the breakdown of the family and the insistence on living a self-destructive culture. And why should I pay reparations? While blacks in the south were being used as slaves, my ancestors were being raped and murdered by Cossacks. Obviously, I never met these people, but still - can I have reparations? Since my ancestors suffered, don't I deserve them?

When it comes to political art, it always seems to me to be more politics than art. And the politics expressed are predictably on the left side of the aisle. If that's where your sympathies lie, you can introduce your article with sentences like,
Knit one, purl two. Fight the power.

Lisa Anne Auerbach knits charged political works stitched with slyly provocative slogans. They can be amusing, angry, quirky. One sweater says "My Jewish Grandma is Voting for Obama. Is Yours?" The back says "Chosen People Choose Obama." Another sweater says "When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire." Her "Body Count Mittens" are adorned with casualty figures from Iraq.
Oy vey, another liberal Jew, who, if she were as politically astute as she thinks she is, would never have voted for or supported Obama. And since Obama is the president, what power is she fighting?

For a much better understanding of Obama, Jews, and Israel, read this important piece by Melanie Phillips. (I found it at American Digest.) She gets it. I thought Dershowitz did. It's sad how politics can blind one to reality.

Here is an interesting letter to the Free Press clearly and simply demonstrating the unbreakable (especially when it comes to political solutions) Law of Unintended Consequences:
News of the cash-for-clunkers program is greatly distressing. I am a low-income, single mother with two teenage daughters. One is 17 and is saving up for her first vehicle. She will not be permitted to get her license until she can afford the car. The other is 15 and chomping at the bit already, eager for the independence she will achieve with her own ride.

More than once I have purchased what is being called a "clunker" because it is in the price range I can afford -- both the purchase price and the insurance costs without collision coverage. Several times I have purchased cars whose owners have told me they were asking the price because it was what they could get on a trade-in. What am I to do now that the incentive will be $4,500 for a trade-in on a car that may have been traded in for $1,000 in the past? I can't afford $4,500 for a vehicle.

What you might consider a clunker, I consider affordable transportation.
How many millions of other working poor will be financially slammed by our current one party ruling bodies?

Finally, here is a test. How much do you know about the founding principles of our nation? Just for the record, I scored 8 out of 10.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

WHoooo! 9/10. I didn't know that about the cost of tea. Happy Fourth weekend, Harry.

PS I don't have a problem with apologies for slavery. I'm still waiting on my "sorries" from Europe for that serfdom thing. ALSO I'm waiting on that "sorry how the Irish were treated" thing from my government. OH, and a "sorry how ladies were treated before suffrage" thing.

I don't think I'm going to get these things so I'm not holding my breath. I don't think there's anything wrong with a genuine apology. Grovelling, yuck.

But a genuine apology for all these things might help people move on. We can issue it on MLK day so we don't need a special holiday separate, and the whole day could focus on civil rights or whatever.

PS my autistic children are still waiting for their rights in public school. :]

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Subvet said...

8 out of 10 here also. Think I'll start reading up on history for a while.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

You always find such interesting things.
Come to think of it, I need a few apologies myself...

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Harry said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Harry said...

Mrs. C,
Maybe if you hold your breath until you turn blue. That may be John Conyer's next tactic. But he has to remove some of the publicity from his wife, a now convicted felon.

Subvet,
Yeah, I'll be doing a bit of studying too. Enough with the Harlequin romances.

JM,
Most of these links were found in my daily newspaper. It is a lot for one day. The rest were from my regular blog round.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.