Thursday, January 21, 2010

We're Going to Starve!

Well, nobody actually said that, but I was faced with a room full of hungry students this morning and no breakfast. I've written previously about how in my district, every student is given a free breakfast (of sorts) every morning . . . if they want it. I've also remarked about how a few parents have now stopped feeding their children breakfast because it's no longer their responsibility.

Usually breakfast is already there when students arrive. Today, it wasn't. It was suggested that we send somebody down to the lunchroom to check on it. I had breakfast, so I was calmer than my students. I asked how many did not have breakfast at home this morning, and 19 of 22 hands went up. Seven were out today because we had a half day, so I will assume that most of them would not have had been fed at home either. I asked who gets their morning meal at home on weekends and during the summer and almost all hands went up. So parents will feed their children when nobody else will.

Breakfast did arrive about 10 minutes into class. Students were treated to a TRIX bar and a carton of milk. Students also bring snacks every day, to go along with their "breakfast", so there were the usual chips, pretzels, Flamin' Hot Cheetos, Tabasco flavored Cheez-Its, candy bars, cookies, mini-bagels, canned fruit, and other items full of empty calories. I gave up the fight for healthy snacks years ago. The parents were against me.

Am I the only one who sees a problem in this situation?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Blogger Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I'm not a big stickler on non-sugar foods. I'm figuring that there are enough things to fight about as a family without dealing with that. I do get 'round to feeding my children their sugar cereal each morning, though. Or rather, I should say I feed my younger children and expect my highschoolers to get their own bowls out and serve themselves. :)

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Subvet said...

I've no use for parents who won't feed their own kids and expect the schools to pick their slack. Too bad their isn't some sort of fee that could be charged, put it on a sliding scale so the truly destitute don't get penalized and hammer the daylights out of the slackers.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Harry said...

Mrs. C.,
I grew up on sugary cereals, and my kids have had their share. I still have a fondness for Frosted Flakes, Sugar Pops, and Alpha-Bits.

Subvet,
There are even more ways to get government money, as I've found out by watching parents who don't deserve it, being given it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.