Thursday, February 24, 2011

State of the Teacher's Union

Like everyone else, I've been watching the madness in Wisconsin. Being a public school teacher, (yeah I may have mentioned that once or twice in the past) I'm disgusted with the teachers in Wisconsin. I understand not wanting to take a pay cut. I took one this year, and I have to pay more out of pocket for my insurance. It hurts. I hate it. But I also understand that the money has to come from somewhere, and if the money isn't there, cuts have to be made. (I'm a taxpayer tool, as much as I hate that). I also know that my school district has made some poor financial decisions in the past that I and other teachers are now paying for. Could we have done anything about that? Probably not. But that's another post, the one where I question why we have school boards.

But back in Wisconsin, how can teachers pretend that they have the best interests of the students at heart when they've abandoned their students or dragged them along to the demonstrations in order to save their own paychecks? Students are supposed to learn what from this? The benefits of mob rule? If the democratic process doesn't produce the results that you want, then it's time to hit the streets? The union has become the fourth branch of government? Why work when you can protest? Doctors are frauds who will write phony prescriptions for political purposes? Teachers are liars who will abandon the students that they've agreed to teach if they don't get their way?

I've watched some of the videos of the union protesters. It's obvious that civility is only expected from conservatives and Republicans. Union members, Democrats, and anyone else on the Left is free to make their own rules and be as rude and violent as they want. Who's going to care? The Press, who is on the side of the unions? The Obama White House corruptocrats, who are owned by the unions?

We're on February break this week, and if I believed in this madness, I could go to Lansing to protest too. I'd rather find a way to get some of my paycheck back from my union that spends my hard earned money on outrageous salaries for union leaders and sends money to organizations that I don't much care for.

Oh, and more money for education does not, as we have seen for years, improve the quality of education. We need vast curriculum changes for that.

Another absurdity that is subverting the democratic process and that is being given tacit approval by the Press and by the White House, is the childish and undemocratic tactic of the Democrat representatives in Wisconsin leaving town to avoid having to vote on Gov. Walker's bill. Had Republicans done this to avoid voting on Obamacare, they would have been tarred and feathered.

The whinyness and selfishness of the left, the fact that they are willing to sink as low as necessary and be as brutal as they are, and damage the country and the country's laws without a second thought in order to get their way is truly amazing. I do hope the grown ups are able to restore order at some point, and that students are able to go back to school.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

OO! I love this post. There are so many STUPID decisions that were made and now it's coming out of the teachers' hides. I agree... the money must come from somewhere. And I, too, am saddened to see the poor behaviour of some of the teachers AND the general public on this issue. I mean, in theory I believe in scrapping the entire Dept. of Education. Does that mean that I have to think every teacher is worthless and everything they've ever done in life is unimportant? Good grief people come off as very ungrateful!!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Harry said...

What does the Dept. of Ed. do anyway? Why spend desperately needed money on bureaucrats? I don't think the dept has improved education a bit.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger MightyMom said...

I do hope the grown ups are able to restore order at some point, and that students are able to go back to school.

I'm afraid the inmates are running the asylum and sanity may never return.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Harry said...

MM,
The whole world feels like that sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.