Sunday, October 15, 2006

Dyketoberfest

We had to meet a photograher in Ann Arbor today in the law quad. My daughter was getting photographed. The photographer wanted to get some shots to show at my daughter's upcoming Bat Mitzvah, you know, so one or two can be framed and set on an easel for everyone to sign. It was a bright, crisp, sunny day, a perfect day for the outdoor shots she wanted. From the law quad, we walked over to "Graffiti Alley" for some more shots. The photographer (whose name I forgot) even took a family shot in the alley. Amongst the expected typically silly graffiti, there was a stenciled enjoy capitalism. That made me chuckle. I like things that make me chuckle.

After that, we did a bit of shopping. My wife and daughter found some clothes. My son and I found some CDs. I picked up, Bill Evans, the Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961. I've only listened to one disc so far, but the one disc was good stuff. This, of course, was recorded only ten days before the tragic death of bassist, Scott LaFaro. I also found a couple of books I've been meaning to pick up, A History of Christianity by Paul Johnson, and Nabokov's Invitation to a Beheading.

The plan was to then go to Zingerman's Deli for lunch. It doesn't make me chuckle, but I love Zingerman's. To my wife, it's just another deli, but to me, it's ZINGERMAN'S!! And I rarely give two exclamation points to anything.

The line was way out the door, and as much as I was looking forward to eating there, I hate waiting in line. We'll just have to make another trip.

I parked a few blocks away, by Kerrytown, and we walked around the area a bit. I suggested Cafe Verde. It looked interesting in an intensely organic way. Everyone else was intrigued by a restaurant in a purple house.

It was a former sushi bar, now closed and for sale. I forbade my wife from buying it, but I did allow her and the rest of us to eat at Aut BAR, a little place across the courtyard. Walking in, we saw a flyer for Dyketoberfest, a celebration that we missed, as it was held this past Friday. That really made me chuckle. As for the event, I'm neither fer it nor agin' it, but I love the name. I don't know if the originator(s) of Dyketoberfest meant there to be humor in the title, but it's there, and I do welcome and appreciate those small unexpected episodes of mirth in every day life.

Aut BAR caters to the gay community, but we didn't let that stop us. Even though we were obviously heterosexual, traveling with kids and all, they neither turned us away nor harassed us. Then again, we didn't flaunt our sexuality. The staff was very friendly and efficient, and the food was really good. Looking around at what others (I don't know if they were gay or straight), everything looked good. And we got a good amount of food for a reasonable price.

I would definitely eat there again. And I do want to meet the creators of Dyketoberfest.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.