Friday, March 23, 2007

More Reasons to Give Public Schools More Money

In the school district I work, we teachers agree in our contract, to be available every Monday after school for meetings. In the past, this was no big deal. Meetings were called at the discretion of building principals. We all grumbled when meetings were called, but we all showed up.

In the past few years, the district bigwigs have decided that we must have meetings every Monday. So we all show up, grumbling even more, especially on the days it seems like our principal doesn't want the meeting any more than we do, but he has to come up with an agenda and hold the meeting anyway.

Now we are having a series of Monday meeting in which a consultant is being brought in to teach us how to have meetings. The district bigwigs plead poverty (except when it comes to hiring more administrators) in a lot of areas, but I assume we are paying this consultant.

We are all taking good notes in order to improve our meeting skills because we know how important a good meeting is.

Well, maybe we really aren't.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

Wow, I can tell that you are frustrated with the amount of money public school takes in and how little seems to get dispersed.

I have home schooled my kids for 13 years. I am not anti- public school, but I recognize that the system is broke.

A cry goes out to help our poor underpaid teachers, then the money gets stuck higher up the chain.

I am a strong advocate of the KISS SYSTEM( keep it simple silly). Our schools keep adding all sorts of extras or frills and the kids test the same. I believe that instead of adding anything new, that we should focus on what we have first.

I guess I am an idealist. Oh well sorry to ramble, keep strong, or become an administrator!

I have enjoyed your blog and I will be back. Feel free to swing by mine.
penofjen@yahoo.com
mcbenningschool.blogspot.com

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Harry said...

I've done rants in the past on what public schools could be doing to improve and actually foster a climate of intellectaul acheivement. They're around here somewhere, and if I were as organized as I should be I would know where they are.

My children have gone to public schools since first grade. They've had their ups and downs but we've kept close tabs on the schools. There were a couple of instances where we almost pulled them in favor of private schools, but things improved. My daughter is upset because she's in a couple of English classes that she enjoys and is doing well in, but not every student is as well prepared. She doesn't want to be moved though. I suppose it's better to learn how to deal with fools now and be ready for them when she's an adult and has to deal with them on her own.

Our neighbors have ten kids and they've all been home schooled up until high school. They have suffered none of the negative social effects claimed by home school oponents, and they've all excelled (so far) at the local high school.

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad we could chat.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Catmoves said...

The remark about "Administrator" costs really hit home. Millions for the school budget, most of them for unneeded Administrators. I have railed against it for a number of years to no avail. Oh, well, maybe some of the students will grow up to be Admin staffers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.