Monday, March 05, 2007

The Struggle for Equality

I found an interesting op-ed in the Arab American News. The writer, Will Youmans, is interested in establishing equality between Arabs and Jews . . . (punchline ahead) . . . in Israel! First he complains,
Though often called the "only democracy in the region," Israel does not have one of the basic elements of what makes states democratic. That is a constitution.
But then he has to admit,
While constitutions are not enough — almost all the Arab states have one and they are worth less than the paper they are written on . . .
And near the end of his piece he says,
Still, Israel's Palestinian citizens have more rights of citizenship and voting rights than they do in any Arab country.
In spite of these facts which Youmans admits, he still calls on Israel, the tiny Jewish nation that has been under attack by "Palestinians" and their Islamic brethren since before their nationhood was established, to give more to the Palestinians. He never calls any of the forty some Islamic states to recognize Israel, help Palestinians build a civilized society that's not predicated on terrorism and begging for handouts from the civilized world, or even tone down their vicious Jew-hatred a bit. He never suggests that Islamic nations call off their continuous war to destroy Israel or condemns their many attempts at the genocide of the Israeli people. Rather, his big idea is,
Israel should become a country for all its citizens, and terminate its . . . rule in the West Bank and Gaza. American politicians should back the calls by Adalah and the others. This is an example of Arabs pushing for democracy. If America supports this movement, it would inspire similar calls in the rest of the Arab world, where change is needed badly.
Who is he trying to kid? The apartheid state of Gaza was created by Israel for the Palestinians. It's a Jew-free state, as the West Bank would have been had not the Palestinians opted for war instead of peace. Protesters are being jailed and murdered in Iran for demanding democracy. Islamic terrorists in Afghanistan and Iraq are doing their best to make sure a true democracy never takes hold. Arabs need to push a lot harder for democracy in Islamic countries in order to be believable.

Every Muslim country in the world is a country for Muslims. Remaining Jews, Christians, and other religious minorities are being squeezed out. That's a condition that has been ongoing since the beginning of Islam. That should be remedied before telling Israel how to treat its citizens.

Update: I forgot to include the link to the original article. It's here.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

I cant believe the double standard of some people!!! Seriously, it is unbelievable! thank God for Israel. One lone place of sanity in the entire region!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Harry said...

The worst part is that so many "right thinking people" including way too many Jews accept this double standard.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Rancher said...

I was going to write my opinion on why American Jews are liberal and therefore anti-American and anti-Israel, but I couldn’t quite formulate any viable argument, I really don’t see how they can be this way.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Harry said...

Rancher,
I know a lot of liberal Jews in my family, my congregation, and among my friends. I used to be one too until my eyes like so many other's eyes were forced open by two airliners in NYC. When I talk to these people, they have a lot of reasons for clinging to their self-destructive liberal attitudes. Some of it is BDS. Some are still stuck mentally in Germany of the 1930s and don't trust the evangelical Christians who are on our side. Some also are fans of the false equivalence arguments where Christian extremists are the same as Islamic extremists. My sister and I have gotten into huge arguments on that and on Israel, to the point where she accused me of being a hatemonger. We still talk but there are certain subjects we avoid, especially if children are around. Too, like the Jews of 1930s Germany, I don't think some Jews want to admit that Muslims really do want to murder us. It's so much easier to believe that Islam is a religion of peace hijacked by etc.

When it comes to the truly America-hating, Jew-hating Jews, I don't get it. Maybe like the kapos who helped the Nazis in the concentration camps they think they will be spared from destruction. The worst of the inquisitors in Spain were former Jews. Melanie Phillips came to town and in her presentation, someone asked her about self-hating Jews. Her answer was that they are Jew-hating Jews, they love themselves. Dennis Prager was also in town. According to him, although we Jews are required to engage in "tikkun olam" the repair of the world, liberal and secular Jews leave God out of that repair and so are drawn to the secular disorders like communism, humanism, environmentalism, movements that somehow always end up as totalitarian cults. There is also a good Dennis Prager column on this at: http://jewishworldreview.com/0207/prager022707.php3

There is a book by David Mamet called, The Wicked Son; Anti-Semitism, Self-Hatred, and the Jews, that examines the question of Jew-hating Jews. He doesn't really offer any answers but I found it a fascinating book.

It's not always easy being a Jew. The requirements, depending on how much you want to follow the dictates of The Torah and The Talmud, can be trying, especially when the rest of the world is not set up to support these requirements. For some it's easier to abandon their faith. At times like this when there is another existential threat, it may be too much for some. Fortunately I have found a group of like-minded Jews through the local Stand With Us chapter.

I owe it to my grandparents who left Russia and Poland to make a better life for me, and to my children who I helped create a world for, to keep fighting.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Rancher said...

Thank you for all of that wonderful intel. It will take awhile for me to fully digest all of it but I’ll get back to you. May I quote you in my blog?

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Harry said...

Sure, you can quote me. I'm glad there was something useful in my rant.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

Harry, just so you know, I am one evangelical Christian you can trust! I totally support the nation of Israel. If I weren't American, I would want to be Israeli.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Harry said...

jungle mom,
I actually trust evangelical Christians more than I trust liberal Jews when it comes to supporting Israel. A lot of liberal Jews are kind of wishy washy when it comes to actual support. What we all have to remember though, is that Israel is only number one on the jihadist's hit parade. They won't stop there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.