Thursday, August 09, 2007

Evangelicals and Israel

I was playing "follow the link" on this post by Smooth Stone. One of the arguments that I get into with members of my congregation is the alliance that should be strong and unbreakable between Jews and Evangelical Christians. I'm one of the few who realizes that we are on the same side. To most others, including my rabbi (whom I do respect a lot even though I disagree with him on this) there is a visceral distrust of Evangelicals. The common excuses for rejection of Evangelicals are; they only want to convert us, they're only using us in hopes of fulfilling dreams of The Apocalypse and Second Coming, they think we're all going to Hell anyway. The people who express these apprehensions see themselves as thoroughly modern liberal progressive Jews, but if you think about it, they're still living mentally in the anti-semitic Europe of their grandparents and great grandparents. They are afraid to look closely to see who are our real friends are, and who our enemies are. It's one of those things that would make them think about who and what they've been voting for all these years.

The link from Smooth Stone, took me to a piece by Ruth Matar, whom I'd never heard of before. She makes a lot of sense. The site won't allow me to lift quotes. You're going to have to go read it on your own.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger Smooth said...

Hi Harry,

Ruth Matar is also the leader of Women in Green, http://www.womeningreen.org/. You'll be able to read everything about her and her efforts there.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

Harry thank you for the link! I am very pleased to see that a Christian family showed Ruth how many of us Christians behave.

I agree whole heartedly with this post, and we teach our children the very important role God has given His chosen people. We as Christians must, absolutely stand behind Israel, and not turn our backs on her.

The world is becoming more and more anti-semitic and I am alarmed, yet sadly not surprised.


Jennifer

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Harry said...

Smooth,
I went to Women in Green. It's inspiring that Jews are finally standing up for themselves, but it's depressing that they have to battle the inept, delusional, suicidal Olmert government to try and keep what is rightfully theirs. I worry as to how far the split is going to go.

Jennifer,
The worst part is that the antisemites in the West really believe that they are the good guys. Rather than examine the propaganda that drives their twisted Jew hating crusade, they follow their Islamic masters along like dhimmi sheep. They love and mourn the Jews of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Dachau, but hate the living Zionist Jews of today. Sadly, that's also true of some progressive Jews.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Smooth said...

Hi Harry, just wanted to also mention that you can subscribe to emails from WIG, and I see you already went to the site. Great.

Warm regards.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Harry said...

Smooth,
Yow, more subscriptions! But this one looks like it's worth it.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

I thought I had commented here. This was a great article. I think I will link to it for all my christian readers. Sometimes we do not understand why the Jews are suspicious of us but I guess it is much like the Independent Baptist and our suspicion of all things Catholic since we were persecuted by them for so long.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Harry said...

Jungle Mom,
That is a good point. There are those progressives among us however, who absolutely refuse to let go of the past and who refuse to distinguish between sincere friends and enemies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.