Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Times, They Have a'Changed

During Harry Truman's 1948 bid for reelection, he gave a speech in San Antonio, Texas on Sunday, September 26. David McCullough, in his biography of Truman, on page 676, quotes a piece of that speech.
Our government is made up of the people. You are the government, I am only your hired servant. I am the Chief Executive of the greatest nation in the world, the highest honor that can ever come to a man on Earth. But I am the servant of the people of the United States. They are not my servants. I can't order you around, or send you to labor camps or have your heads cut off if you don't agree with me politically. We don't believe in that . . .

By way of Michelle Malkin, I found this video, wherein an Obama staffer presents a completely different attitude to holding the office of President of the United States. I'm not claiming any conspiracy here, merely a change in the expectation of what this office means.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger MightyMom said...

umm I like that "take power and rule from day 1" comment.

kinda gets my back hairs up if you know what I mean.....

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

I feel like I am watching 'Chavismo- The sequel'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.