Sunday, June 07, 2009

Others Who Worry

I got a call from my wife's uncle (yeah, that makes him my uncle too) after Obama's Cairo speech. He was worried about Israel. My wife's side of the family is Catholic. She converted. Her uncle's call was surprising only because we'd never really discussed politics before. He's a family man who's worked hard all his life and raised his children to do the same. He didn't vote for Obama, but like many of us, the more Obama sets forth policy, the more he worries.

My uncle's mother, my wife's grandmother was Polish. During World War II, her family helped hide Jews from the Nazis. It's something she never talked about until my wife started dating me.

My uncle wanted to be reassured. I didn't have anything reassuring to tell him. I did let him know about my own Israel advocacy and how he can get involved if he really wants to help battle the forces of barbarism. I let him know about CAMERA, Honest Reporting, and MEMRI. There are more useful sites that I didn't mention simply because I didn't want him to become overwhelmed. There are: Myths and Facts, Stand With Us, Debbie Schlussel, and lots of smaller sites. I'm also gathering some SWU material to give to him when I see him at a family gathering next week.

Some people would applaud my uncle's call. I am grateful that he called, because I now know that others are worried about Obama's "reach out to America's enemies with one hand while stabbing America's friends in the back with the other hand" foreign policy stance. I would feel better though if my uncle hadn't had to make that worried call, you know, like if we had a president with knowledge of the situation, the moral fiber to correctly tell good from evil, and the will to battle evil rather than taking the foolish approach of evenhandedly trying to negotiate with it.

I'm going to use this upcoming family gathering not only to give my uncle some good information and advice on fighting for Israel (which is in the best interest of the United States, in addition to the purely moral aspect of this battle) and I'm going to see if I can pique the interest of a few more of my wife's relatives. Knowing them, I bet I can.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger MightyMom said...

good luck with all that!

here's a couple more Catholics wishing to see us stand solidly behind Israel!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger MightyMom said...

you might enjoy this!


http://sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com/2009/06/president-wikipedia.html

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

We must stand with Israel! Not only is it the right thing to do, but it is in our best interests as a nation as well.
Is it 2012 yet?????

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Harry said...

MM,
Thanks for the post. That was a good well written, well thought out link.

JM,
This could be a long four years. I'm hoping American voters wise up in 2010 and throw a few Democrats out of Congress.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous suek said...

"yeah, that makes him my uncle too"

Only sort of. In our family, we call them in-laws and out-laws. So he's your wife's uncle and your "out-law uncle"...

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous suek said...

Does your uncle get on the internet?

If so, I recommend you start a bookmark file (I use Foxfire as a browser) of links for him. At some point, go into the bookmark management, export to a Word file, and send him the file. He can then either use them directly, or import them into his bookmarks - if your systems are compatible. Then he can browse at leisure and you don't have to worry about any letters or dots or spaces etc. getting dropped in error.

There are _so_ many blogs out there! Check out http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/

if you haven't already. Among others of course.

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous suek said...

Oops...see that you have that one. And many others. I was only down far enough to see the first half of your links - and they're not alphabetized. Second half is easier to find individual ones on...

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Harry said...

suek,
He used to be more outlaw than he is now, but that's another story. I gave him some reading material from Stand With Us and Dershowitz' book, The Case for Israel. I also encouraged him to write to newspapers when their anti-Israel bias shows, and gave him links to CAMERA and Honest Reporting. He's fed up with his worthless Congressional representatives - as I am, but we do have to let them know that we are paying attention to what they do - allegedly on our behalf.

It seems like there are way more people trying to destroy our civilization than there are supporting it. Back in my youth, I never would have imagined that things would have come to this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.