Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Alaskan Oil

A representative from the Sierra Club was at my door earlier today. He was explaining his petition against drilling in the Artic Wildlife Refuge when I stopped him. I didn't want him to waste his time because I think we should drill. He was seriously taken aback at my heretical view, and asked why.

After providing my objection to sending more money to Middle-Eastern terrorists and their supporters, I asked him about the drilling that's been going on for years in Prudhoe Bay. Environmentalists were up in arms over drilling there, but after all these years, I wanted to know; have there been problems, you know, environmental degradation, dead seals, polluted snow, anything like that?

At first he tried to explain about weather patterns carrying smog to California and Europe. When I asked him to slow down, because I didn't understand how oil drilling in Alaska could directly cause smog in two different parts of the world, and in different directions from Alaska, he laughed and admitted he didn't know. They're paying hime to collect signatures and that's what he's doing.

You must have to up the organizational food chain to get to the knowledgeable folk.

He was unfailingly polite, and I was able to discuss the issue with him rationally, but what has happened at Prudhoe Bay since they began drilling?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger redleg said...

A short tour of searching for "Prudhoe Bay" and Environment yielded lots of nasty old oil companies and what might happen, but nothing that had happened. Oh, the carribou population tripled.

see:
http://www.d.umn.edu/~cstroupe/archive/5230/glocal/prudhoe/www.d.umn.edu/~hoef0049/pbenviro.html

http://enn.com/wild.html?id=299

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA324.html

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Harry said...

Ronaldus magnus and redleg
Thanks for the info. That's what I thought because we know that the environmental movement is nothing if they're not loud in their cries of doom.
Promethea
Thanks, but try the links again. Some days it's hit or miss as to whether the links work. You may have to try numerous times or try again another day. I hope I made it worth your while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.