Sunday, April 10, 2005

Two Views on Raising Children

Last night I went to the opening night of the local high school production of The Music Man. Back when I was in high school, I sat through our thespians' production. This production was far better. My son was in it. He didn't have a big part, but he shined. Last year they did Fiddler on the Roof, and my then fourth-grade daughter was in it along with my son. It was a wonderful show, and wouldn't you know it, better than when my high school put it on back in the olden days. My daughter couldn't get a part this year, because, as it was explained to me, they wanted to give more of the little kids a chance. Had she been in it, of course, it would have been an even better production.

Why bring this up? Like other parents around the world, I want my children to be exposed to many different aspects of life. I want them to have choices, to "know what's out there". Over the years they've had after school activities like so many other kids: dance, piano, guitar, plays, karate, soccer, basketball, Hebrew School, art camp, and on and on and on . . .

As we can see from the photo, courtesy of Associated Press, some parents have other ideas of how to raise children and the kinds of extra-curricular activities they approve for their children.


Two Views of Raising Children Posted by Hello

For people who claim to want peace, the Palestinians have a strange way of raising their children. Lest you think this is an isolated case, check out this slideshow over at little green footballs. It makes one wonder if they really will be satisfied living side by side with Israel.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.