Sunday, April 03, 2005

Sin City

My wife and I saw Sin City last night. I have all of the comic books, and they are great comic books. If you haven't read them, I highly recommend them. Some things are better left on the comic book page though. Dialogue that works on the printed page can sound stupid, or vapid, or unbelievable coming from the movie screen. Things that look good as a static drawing may make you cringe as a moving picture.

I think a lot of critics were seduced by the production. It was for the most part, a visually stunning flick. We have never seen anything like it. For Frank Miller fans, it was slavishly faithful to the comic. If you look past that, you may notice one dimensional characters, if there's any characterization at all. Many were just "types" from film noirland, and comic noirland. In order to run all three of the stories in a reasonable amount of time, ploting was kept to a minimum. There was no feeling. The whole thing was a sterile visual exercise.

I did think the scantily clad women were a major plus. My wife disagreed.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.