Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Kids on Stage

I've always been one of those dads who has to be at every performance of my kids whether it's a weak attempt at sports or a practiced stage act. I've been in the audience for soccer, basketball, dance, gymnastics, choir, band, and theater. I wouldn't miss it. It's cool seeing your kids perform. It's even better seeing your kids perform well.

Both of my kids are teenagers. Both of my kids sing. My son has been singing since he was a baby. He woke up every morning as a baby in song. My daughter as a baby, woke up crying . . . until we put her on a laxative, but that's another story.

Over the past few years, they've done plays in the local amateur theater and in the local high school. They are both in the current play at the local high school. My daughter, still in Middle School is in the chorus. My son has a minor lead. I've heard him sing before and yes, I'll admit it. He's good. In this play though, Les Miserables, he really shines . . . I think.

I admit it. I'm a tad biased in his favor. He's up on stage with other guys that he's been friends with since elementary school. They also have leads and they are also good singers. My wife insists that he has the best voice on the stage. The dad in me says she's right. But I have to wonder if he's really that good or if the dad in me has clouded my judgement, because of course, my daughter also has a stellar voice, and when she gets to high school, I expect the director to recognize this and also cast her in leads.

Am I being unreasonable?

Maybe.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

Not unreasonable at all!!!! I had one of those "born singing" kids myself. Great to hear about the kids.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Rancher said...

Wow, your kids might make it Hollywood! Oh, Hollywood. Sorry.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Pen of Jen said...

I love reading that you are such a great Dad. No matter how much kids may feign embarrassment at us being at all their activities, I always see my own look for my husband and I then smile. I am sure that yours are the same.

And remember that you only have 18 years with your kids(until they launch into the world), puff up and be a proud, yet realistic dad all you want:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.