Friday, April 06, 2007

The Times They are A-Changin'

Or maybe they've already changed. Here is a quote from Efraim Karsh's book, ISLAMIC IMPERIALISM, A History. It's from the paperback edition, page 124, the middle of the third paragraph.
In December 1856 British forces invaded Iran, and before the year was over they had captured the southern islands of kharg and Bushir and continued their advance northward. In early March 1857, the heavily fortified town of Muhammara fell after an hour's fighting, with thirteen thousand panic-stricken Iranians being pursued as they fled by fory-five British cavalrymen. Ahwaz was captured on April 1, and the following day Iran signed a peace treaty renouncing all its territorial claims to Afghanistan.
I could comment on the British lack of diplomacy, but I won't. I could also point out how a powerful show of strength carried the day, but I'm not going to. I'm not even going to compare the British Army of old with that of today. I'm just going to present the quote and keep my big mouth shut.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

Well said! No need to add a thing!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Pen of Jen said...

I agree with Jungle-hut/Rita.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
War's legitimate object is more perfect peace. Flavius Vegitius Renatus This is an optional footer. If you want text here, place it inside these tags, and remove this comment.